History of Horizon 2020
In 2011 the EU Heads of State and Government called on the European Commission to bring together all of the previous EU’s research and innovation funding under a single common strategic framework. The Commission launched a wide-ranging consultation involving all key stakeholders which has led to Horizon 2020.
The European Commission has compiled all the feedback from stakeholders, and has taken into account recommendations from the European Parliament, as well as lessons learned from previous programmes. The message was clear – make Horizon 2020 simpler for users – and it is!
Horizon 2020 Timeline
- Preparatory work in the Industry, Research and Energy Committee of the European Parliament (EP) (September/October 2013)
- Vote on the Multiannual Financial Framework in the EP Plenary (September/October 2013)•Vote on Horizon 2020 in the EP Plenary (October/November 2013)
- Adoption by the Council (November/December 2013)
- Adoption of Work Programme and publication of the first calls for proposals (11 December 2013)
- 2014: Horizon 2020 starts
Note: Horizon 2020 has been adopted using the ordinary legislative procedure.